A photograph of John Lennon is being projected onto Albert Dock in Liverpool to mark the start of the John Lennon Tribute Season.
The photograph of Lennon, taken by Bill Zygmant, will illuminate the Albert Dock from 9-23 October 2010, and is a joint initiative by the Albert Dock Tenants Business Association, Liverpool City Council, Hard Day’s Night Hotel and the Beatles Story exhibition.
Bill Zygmant began his career at the London Star, and in 1962 joined a Fleet Street picture agency. From 1964 he was a freelance photographer, and took pictures of music and show business stars including The Beatles, Bee Gees, Jimi Hendrix, Marc Bolan and Mary Hopkin.
It is incredible to see my work projected onto one of Liverpool’s most iconic buildings in celebration of the life of John Lennon. His legacy and his music continue live on in the city and this is a fitting tribute – I’m sure he would have loved it.
The Hard Day’s Night Hotel in Liverpool has renamed a suite the Zygmant Suite in his honour. Two of his images are displayed in the Lennon Suite.
Also on this day...
- 2017: New book! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Frank Sinatra School of the Arts, New York
- 2011: Sir Paul McCartney marries Nancy Shevell
- 2010: “And the world will be as one”: Global tributes take place for John Lennon’s 70th birthday
- 2010: Yoko Ono requests a million tweets for John Lennon
- 2009: Yoko Ono unveils Imagine Peace Tower in Second Life
- 2000: Tributes for John Lennon’s 60th birthday
- 1998: Yoko Ono dedicates a tree to John Lennon in Strawberry Fields
- 1990: Imagine is broadcast around the world
- 1988: John Lennon tributes are broadcast on US television
- 1985: Strawberry Fields is opened in Central Park, New York City
- 1984: Yoko Ono donates $90,000 to Strawberry Field in Liverpool
- 1981: John Lennon statue is unveiled in Los Angeles
- 1980: John Lennon’s 40th birthday
- 1979: John Lennon’s 39th birthday party, Tavern On The Green, New York
- 1978: John Lennon’s 38th birthday party, Tavern On The Green, New York
- 1976: John Lennon’s 36th birthday
- 1975: Sean Lennon is born
- 1971: John Lennon’s all-star 31st birthday party in Syracuse, New York
- 1971: Yoko Ono’s art exhibition This Is Not Here opens in Syracuse, New York
- 1970: Recording: Remember by John Lennon
- 1970: John Lennon sees his father Alf for the final time
- 1969: Yoko Ono is taken to hospital in London
- 1968: Recording, mixing: The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill, Long Long Long, Why Don’t We Do It In The Road
- 1967: John Lennon’s 27th birthday
- 1966: John Lennon celebrates his 26th birthday in Spain
- 1965: The Beatles celebrate John Lennon’s 25th birthday
- 1964: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bradford
- 1963: Radio: The Ken Dodd Show
- 1962: The Beatles promote Love Me Do in London
- 1961: John Lennon celebrates his 21st birthday with Paul McCartney in Paris
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1956: John Lennon’s 16th birthday
- 1940: John Lennon is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.